If you have any suggestions/objections about a newsletter, please let me know.
TODAY’S SCHEDULED MEET-UP in Rutland at gazebo near the intersection of Route 4 and Route 7 CANCELLED
- Rescheduled for next Tuesday Jan 31 from 5-6 pm
- Will be holding signs to educate passerby about healthcare
- If you’re interested, please contact Carol Ballou email@example.com
The proposed dates for the next meeting of the Rutland MoveOn.org group are:
Saturday, Feb. 11 at 2 p.m.
Monday, Feb. 13 at 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 14 at 7 p.m.
Wednesday, Feb 15 at 7 p.m.
If you haven’t done so already, please let Glenn at firstname.lastname@example.org know which date is best for you. He’s also looking for volunteers to run the next meeting.
THINGS TO DO
- Cabinet picks:
- Already confirmed: Defense (Mattis) and Homeland Security (Kelly)
- Rest of the nominees must still go through a full Senate vote even after they make it through the committee – so calling your senator still matters! Here’s an article showing where all of the nominees are in the process: http://www.npr.org/2017/01/24/511291979/the-status-of-trump-s-cabinet-where-everyone-is-in-the-process-and-how-it-works Here’s a spreadsheet showing the full list of nominees and issues: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T8ssSdwOAP-zLf1n8R5JRFtw6uy6BYbwpYFPOf7RUlw/edit#gid=0
- Sanders: Local office 802-862-0697
- Leahy: Local office 802-863-2525
- Sample scripts (for some, not all):
- Betsy Devos for education (Sanders is on this Committee) – I’m <______>, a constituent. I’m <an educator / a parent / an advocate for education> and I want <Senator ____ or the Commitee> to stop Betsy DeVos’s confirmation. DeVos doesn’t have an education degree or even teaching experience. Rather, she’s a powerful donor who advocates for school choice, which is useless without regard for school quality. Instead of specializing in pedagogy or curriculum, DeVos’s skillset is commandeering public funding for private education. She was a key player in shaping the Michigan charter school system, which is severely lacking in oversight, demanding little accountability for how tax dollars are spent or how well students are educated. I don’t want to see the same thing happen nationally, and I expect <Senator ______ or the Committee> to take a stand for quality education. America’s students and teachers deserve better than DeVos! from http://thesixtyfive.org/theIssues
- Rex Tillerson for State – I’m <______>, a constituent. I want <Senator ______> to vote AGAINST Rex Tillerson’s confirmation. Tillerson has no true diplomatic experience. His experience negotiating with foreign powers for energy deals has not prepared him for serving as Secretary of State. In fact, Tillerson’s ties with Russia and ExxonMobil are instead conflicts of interest that will make it impossible for him to oversee foreign policy ethically and effectively. I expect <Senator ______> to protect the integrity of the State Department by rejecting Tillerson’s confirmation, and I’ll be paying close attention to the vote. from http://thesixtyfive.org/theIssues
- Andy Puzder for Labor – – I’m a constituent. I want <Senator ______> to vote AGAINST Andy Puzder’s confirmation because of his opposition to workers’ rights and fair wages.
- Tom Price for Health and Human Services – I’m a constituent. I want <Senator ______> to vote AGAINST Tom Price’s confirmation because of his opposition to ACA.
- Scott Pruitt for EPA – I’m a constituent. I want <Senator ______> to vote AGAINST Scott Pruitt’s confirmation because he is a climate change denier.
- Jeff Sessions for Attorney General (Leahy is on this Committee) – I’m a constituent. I want <Senator ______> to vote AGAINST Jeff Session’s confirmation because his record shows that he will not protect civil rights or voting rights.
- Rick Perry for Energy – I’m a constituent. I want <Senator ______> to vote AGAINST Rick Perry’s confirmation because of his support for the dangerous plan of privatizing the storage of nuclear waste. (see http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/01/department-energy-rick-perry-nuclear-waste)
- Ben Carson for Housing and Urban Development – I’m a constituent. I want <Senator ______> to vote AGAINST Ben Carson’s confirmation because of his inexperience and his opposition to fair housing legislation. (see https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T8ssSdwOAP-zLf1n8R5JRFtw6uy6BYbwpYFPOf7RUlw/edit#gid=0 )
- Steve Mnuchin for Treasury – I’m a constituent. I want <Senator ______> to vote AGAINST Wilbur Ross’ confirmation because of his bank’s discriminatory foreclosure practices.
- Sign petitions:
- Support Sanders’ bill to allow Medicare to negotiate with big Pharma (from Janie Feinberg’s email)
“We need to make sure all Democrats are on board, including Corey Booker (who voted against Bernie’s last amendment, probably having something to do with the $200,000-$300,000.00 he gets from the pharmaceutical industry) and we need to make sure Senator Schumer knows it’s his job to rally every last Democrat, McConnell rallied his troops, we have to be stronger! Call call call!
Schumer (202) 224-6542
The Democrats could have passed Bernie’s amendment but chose not to. 12 Republicans, including Ted Cruz and Rand Paul voted with Bernie. We had the votes.
Here is the list of Democrats who voted “Nay” and must redeem themselves with this vote.
The office staff will ask if you are a constituent, you may not live in their state but we are all effected by the votes they take.
Bennet (D-CO) – (202) 224-5852
Booker (D-NJ) – (202) 224-3224
Cantwell (D-WA) – (202) 224-3441
Carper (D-DE) – (202) 224-2441
Casey (D-PA) – (202) 224-6324
Coons (D-DE) – (202) 224-5042
Donnelly (D-IN) – (202) 224-4814
Heinrich (D-NM) – (202) 224-5521
Heitkamp (D-ND) – (202) 224-2043
Menendez (D-NJ) – (202) 224-4744
Murray (D-WA) – (202) 224-2621
Tester (D-MT) – (202) 224-2644
Warner (D-VA) – (202) 224-2023”
- Complain about Canadian’s being denied entry into US (from Carol Ballou’s email on this subject):
“This was on Daily Kos. I’ve complained to Leahy and Sanders. You may want to complain also. This behavior needs to see the light of day so it doesn’t become acceptable.
The Guardian is reporting that numerous Canadian, French and British citizens have been denied entry to the United States because they intended to join today’s anti-Trump protests. www.theguardian.com/…
At at least one border crossing, the first question they were asked by border patrol officers was “Are you anti- or pro-Trump?” They were also all seriously harassed. They were put into secondary inspection for hours, interrogated, fingerprinted, photographed, all their belongings and vehicles were pawed through, and they were told they would need visas to enter in the future.
I’ve been a U.S. immigration lawyer for 30 years, and my hands are shaking like leaves in a hurricane. That’s outrageous! By statute, Canadians are visa-exempt. The border patrol agents have no authority to deny admission for political reasons! French and British citizens also do not need visas under the Visa Waiver Program. The claim that they will need visas in the future must mean that they were formally placed on a terrorist watch list!
This is incredibly un-American. But under a fascist regime, the low-lifes with guns always turn ugly.
This happened at more than one border crossing, which suggests it was not just a few rogue officers but was coordinated from the top of Customs and Border Protection, which is part of the Department of Homeland Security.
UPDATE: This is a big story around the world. Here are a few more selected articles:
- Lawsuit has already been filed challenging tRump’s conflicts of interest – they are hoping that they will be able to force tRump to release his tax returns, which would clarify his conflicts of interest https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/22/us/politics/trump-foreign-payments-constitution-lawsuit.html
- Sign petitions:
- Release tax returns: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/immediately-release-donald-trumps-full-tax-returns-all-information-needed-verify-emoluments-clause-compliance
- Divest (tRump “handing his business over to family isn’t enough – he can’t un-know his company’s already existing investments around the world): https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/divest-or-put-blind-trust-all-presidents-business-and-financial-assets
- Protest on tax day to demand tRump release his taxes? http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/01/the_trump_taxes_march_on_april_15_let_s_make_it_happen.html
- If people are interested in this, let’s start going through the steps we would need in order to make it happen
- Sign petitions:
- Global gag rule reinstated by tRump yesterday (also known as Mexico City Policy)
- What is a global gag rule – it prevents organizations receiving $ from USA to talk about abortion, even if they’re using their own $ to do so
- Evidence suggests that the global gag rule actually increases abortion rates http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/89/12/11-091660/en/
- Ask your representatives to support Senator Shaheen’s legislation to permanently ban the global gag rule: https://www.shaheen.senate.gov/news/press/shaheen-statement-on-president-trumps-reinstatement-of-the-global-gag-rule
- Regulatory Accountability Act – House has passed a sweeping bill to wipe out regulations http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-congress-regulations-idUSKBN14W02N
- This undermines agencies appointed to overlook environment, consumer financial protection, public health and safety, and environment
- Call your senators to oppose
- R. 193 American Sovereignty Restoration act of 2017 – Proposes US withdraw from UN http://www.businessinsider.com/american-sovereignty-restoration-act-us-withdraw-un-2017-1
Write your House Representative:
I am writing to ask you to oppose HR 193, the American Sovereignty Restoration Act of 2017, sponsored by Rep. Mike Rogers. This bill would pull the United States out of the United Nations, which would send a dangerous message to the world that we are now isolationists.
The value of remaining in the UN cannot be overstated. I support conflict resolution with the nations of the world through diplomacy, which depends on having active relationships with our global neighbors. There has not been a large-scale international armed conflict on the scale of World War II since the establishment of the UN. And, the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights remains a bedrock document for humanitarian efforts to improve the quality of life of all people around the globe, including right here at home in the United States. Let us not forget the US leadership in this arena, since former First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt drafted the UN-UDHR. Withdrawing from the UN would mean turning our backs on our own legacy as a nation.
- HR 3650 House Committee on Natural Resources voted to adopt a bill that would make it easier to sell off public land https://www.outsideonline.com/2093281/great-public-land-heist-has-begun and https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr3650
- Sign a petition to oppose http://www.protectourpublicland.org/
- Check out
- Facebook page for Indivisible Rutland (recommended by Janie Feinberg)
- Indivisible Guide indivisibleguide.com
- Rise Up Guide to save healthcare: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u3X2s1nNfR0u8xoR7QfGbbuv4OokpS2xuzC5Zf5hdyQ/edit
- List of daily action items at https://www.resistance365.com/home
- Weekly action items at http://jenniferhofmann.com/home/weekly-action-checklist-democrats-independents-republicans-conscience/
- MOVEMENT TO OPPOSE TRUMP here is the subscription link! (recommended by Jed Pauls)
- Sign Up For Signal Boost: One of the highlights of the Hillary Clinton campaign was receiving an email from two of their staffers, Zerlina Maxwell and Jess McIntosh. It was full of progressive ideas, actionable items and funny tidbits. They just launched a new weekly email called Signal Boost, which I highly recommend. Sign up here.
- Join Solidarity Sundays: A nationwide network of Feminist activist groups, Solidarity Sundays, focuses on taking action to resist Trump. On the 2nd Sunday of each month, they gather in homes across the country to engage with elected officials (via letters, emails, phone calls, social media, and in-person meetings), amplify the action items of existing progressive organizations and build communities of empowered, educated, active feminists who will the Trump agenda and work for peace, justice and equity.Sign up here.
- Sign Up For Flippable:Their mission is to turn America blue by building a movement to flip seats. To build this movement, they need to radically simplify political action. They focus on state legislature elections—races that play a huge role in national elections but are often overlooked. Information about these races is hard to find, and busy people don’t have the time to sift through it. That’s where Flippable comes in. They’ll tell you which races are more important, who’s running, and how you can support them.Sign up now!
- Support these organizations:
PEN AMERICA (freedom of the press): https://pen.org
CENTER FOR REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS (women’s rights): https://www.reproductiverights.org
GIRLS WHO CODE (youth): https://girlswhocode.com
ALI FORNEY CENTER (lgbtq youth): http://www.aliforneycenter.org
HOPE SPOTS (climate survival): https://www.mission-blue.org/hope-spots
- Good Read: “Revenge”by Elisa Chavez
- A Song For The Movement: “Don’t Drink The Water” Liveby Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds