Suggestions/additions welcome. Don’t see your issue, event or organization? Send it to me.
Top priority: Indivisible wants us to ask Democratic Senators to withhold consent and to filibuster by amendment in order to fight TrumpCare. See the first action item below. (See action 2 on fighting Trump’s attempt to sabotage the ACA; there’s also an event at the UU Church tomorrow in Rutland to organize support for universal healthcare)
- Saturday June 17
- 10am-noon – TD Bank Rutland protests continue (we’re on the corner, at the apex of the streets – if you’re looking directly at the stand-alone booth or at the side of the building you may not see us) https://www.facebook.com/events/782080125284082/
- 7 am – 4 pm Migrant Justice’s Milk with Dignity Program, march winding through Vermont’s iconic rural dairy landscapes and descending upon Ben & Jerry’s Waterbury, VT plant and global public relations center. We kick off the march at the Vermont state house at 7am sharp and will regroup at the Waterbury Park N Ride departing at 2pm for Ben & Jerry’s in Waterbury for the final rally! https://migrantjustice.net/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=19&link_id=6&can_id=db7e3efaa93f09bacd44aa3127a287b3
- Sunday 18 at 1:30 pm Vermont Workers Center – Healthcare is a human right meeting at UU Church 117 West Street, Rutland, VT 05701, please enter through the back door and the room is at the top of the stairs to the left through the door
- Monday June 19 at 6 pm Castleton Indivisible at the Castleton Community Center6-8pm. We are in the upstairs room in the wellness barn. https://castletoncsi.org
- Tuesday June 20 at 7 – 9 pm, Paramount Theater – Screening of8 Borders, 8 Days followed by an interactive discussion with director Amanda Bailly and local advocates and refugees. We are excited to partner with Rutland Welcomes and the Rutland chapter of Amnesty International for this event, and to have former Rutland Mayor Chris Louras as an honored guest. This event is free and open to the public on a first come, first served basis. A $10 donation is suggested. http://8borders8days.com/screenings/
- Wednesday June 21 at 7pm, Black Lives Matter VT at Shop 4 Change, 325 Main Street in Winooski – initial findings from the investigation into “racial disparities in suspensions and expulsions in Burlington and across the state of Vermont, describe ongoing research, and discuss proposed solutions. Black students make up 15% of Burlington School District but account for 32% of suspensions, and are almost three times more likely to be suspended than their white counterparts. The effects of the school-to-prison pipeline have been well documented. With 1 out of 14 black men in Vermont in prison, making up 10.7% of Vermont’s incarcerated population–and just 1.7% of the state’s population–it’s easy to extrapolate from local high suspension rates that black children are at a major disservice in Vermont, as they are nationwide.”
- Thursday June 22nd from 5:30 pm until the food is gone Vermont Farmers Food Center local food supper at Vermont Farmers Food Center – “Vermont Farmers Food Center (VFFC) will be offering a locally sourced meal with seasonal produce every Thursday evening the rest of June & July starting at 5:30 pm until food is gone at VFFC on 251 West Street, home of the Vermont Winter Farmers Market in Rutland. The VFFC goal in serving this meal is to provide an opportunity for more of the Rutland community to experience & enjoy the freshness & better taste of locally grown produce in season. The weekly dinner provides an occasion for eating local food as an experience in community and the French concept of terroir, the belief that it does matter where our food comes from, and we do appreciate the hard working farmers providing us with real life giving nourishment. The $5 price for entrée is reasonable priced because our farmers are generous in their donations. Our farmers need to make a living so we need to pay them for the healthy food grown and used for these meals. Thank you to all the farmers, volunteers and supporters who are participating in helping VFFC build on our strengths as a resilient community. We have accomplished much at VFFC but we still have far to go. Thank you for being there with us. Vermonters spend only 7% of our food dollar on Vermont products. We can do better. For your own good health, try to use & eat more Vermont produce whenever you can.” From Kathleen Krevetski (who is featured in the most recent Rutland Reader)
- Saturday June 24 from 10am-noon – TD Bank Rutland protests continue (we’re on the corner, at the apex of the streets – if you’re looking directly at the stand-alone booth or at the side of the building you may not see us) https://www.facebook.com/events/782080125284082/
- Saturday July 1 Virtual Rise up 5K – https://localraces.com/rise-up-5k/rise-up-5k-burlington-vt $45 fee. Registrants receive race shirt and bib. Can be run (or walked) from any location you choose. You can run, jog, or walk on the road, on the trail, on the treadmill, at the gym or on the track. Or you can join a Rise Up group run in your area being organized on these Facebook Event pages (https://www.facebook.com/pg/riseup5k/events/). 100% OF NET PROCEEDS WILL BE DONATED TO THESE BENEFITING CHARITIES:
- Women’s Rights: Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Inc.| The Center for Reproductive Rights
- Climate Change: Natural Resources Defense Council
- Immigrants’ Rights: The National Immigration Law Center
- LGBTQ Rights: The Trevor Project
- Civil Rights: The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Foundation| The Southern Poverty Law Center
- Sunday July 2 Impeachment March – http://www.impeachmentmarch.org/sister-marches.html Please let me know if you hear of something local
- VT Senator Leahy has introduced legislation for nationwide automatic voter registration, to facilitate voter participation https://www.leahy.senate.gov/press/leahy-leads-bill-joined-by-klobuchar-and-durbin-to-increase-voter-participation
- “A third Syrian family has arrived in Rutland, says Vermont Refugee Resettlement Program.” https://www.sevendaysvt.com/OffMessage/archives/2017/06/12/third-syrian-family-arrives-in-rutland-resettlement-official-says?utm_content=bufferdffe1&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
- “Court finds that approval of Dakota Access Pipeline violated the law” by shortcutting “environmental review; Court seeks additional briefing on whether to shut down pipeline. http://earthjustice.org/news/press/2017/in-victory-for-standing-rock-sioux-tribe-court-finds-that-approval-of-dakota-access-pipeline-violated-the-law
- More than 180 Congressional Democrats, including VT Representative Peter Welch and Senators Patrick Leahy and Bernie Sanders, have joined the lawsuit against Trump for violation of the emoluments clause https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/congressional-democrats-to-file-emoluments-lawsuit-against-trump/2017/06/13/270e60e6-506d-11e7-be25-3a519335381c_story.html?utm_term=.b2ed18a1107a and https://www.facebook.com/PeterWelch/ and https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3864735-Democrats-Sue-Trump-Emoluments.html
- Vermont Secretary of State has confirmed that Vermont was not one of the 39 state election systems targeted for hacking by Russia (see Bloomberg story) https://twitter.com/taylordobbs/status/874681600101011456 and https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-06-13/russian-breach-of-39-states-threatens-future-u-s-elections
- Megyn Kelly will be interviewing Alex Jones, conspiracy theorist who denies the Sandy Hook school shooting, on her new NBC show
- “Connecticut NBC joins boycott — refuses to air Megyn Kelly’s interview with Alex Jones” http://www.rawstory.com/2017/06/connecticut-nbc-joins-boycott-refuses-to-air-megyn-kellys-interview-with-alex-jones/#.WURyIcr11OM.twitter
- “J.P. Morgan removes NBC News ads over Megyn Kelly interview with Alex Jones” https://www.wsj.com/articles/j-p-morgan-removes-nbc-news-ads-over-megyn-kelly-interview-with-alex-jones-1497311738
- “3 Republican governors—Kasich (OH), Sandoval (NV), and Baker (MA)—have all signed a bipartisan letter opposing Trumpcare.” https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/875778547482320897
- “Sens. Warren and Murray ask the HHS Inspector General to investigate the Trump admin’s actions to ‘undermine the health care system’.” https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/875045935134515200
- The Massachusetts Attorney General is suing Betsy DeVos and the Department of Education for halting regulations meant to protect students from abuses by for-profit schools https://twitter.com/MassAGO/status/875045554060972032
- “The head of Michigan’s health department is charged with involuntary manslaughter in the Flint water crisis.” https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/874969255174909956
- “U.S. to announce charges against 12 of Erdoğan’s guards in beating of Turkish Embassy protesters” on US soil https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/14/world/middleeast/turkish-guards-washington-attack.html
- “New lawsuit claims the Trump administration is hiding its pay-for-play relationship with a private prison company” http://www.newsweek.com/department-justice-prison-contracts-geo-group-pay-play-626120
- 45 lost a travel ban appeal https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/12/us/politics/trump-travel-ban-court-of-appeals.html?_r=0
- “Special counsel is investigating Trump for possible obstruction of justice” https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/special-counsel-is-investigating-trump-for-possible-obstruction-of-justice/2017/06/14/9ce02506-5131-11e7-b064-828ba60fbb98_story.html?utm_term=.a7560b2ef98f
- An attempt to bar journalists from interviewing Senators in the hallways of Capitol Hill was almost immediately shut down. https://sunlightfoundation.com/2017/06/13/restrictions-on-journalists-in-the-us-senate-violate-core-american-principles/
- For more good news, see http://www.peaceisloud.org/small-victories/
NEW ITEMS REQUIRING ACTION in no particular order – there are a lot, but that’s because I know that people are interested in different things. Pick the issue that you’re most concerned about, and take action.
1 “There are two main ways that your Democratic Senator can fight back against Trumpcare:
- Withhold consent. Your Democratic Senator can slow down Senate business, in part by “withholding consent.” The rules of the Senate are so complicated that Senators have to regularly consent to waiving some of them so that they can actually get work done. That includes shortening time for debates, expediting consideration of amendments, and scheduling committees. Your Senator can slow the Senate down to a crawl and focus attention to TrumpCare by withholding his or her consent on legislative business.
- Filibuster by amendment. Republicans are using a special process called “reconciliation” to jam through TrumpCare. This means they only need 51 votes, instead of the usual 60, to pass it. But the trade-off is that they have to allow an unlimited number of amendments. Any Senator can file as many amendments as they want and then call them up for a vote on the Senate floor during a period called “vote-a-rama.” Democratic Senators can and should plan thousands of amendments and keep them going until Republicans agree to have public hearings on the bill.
“Your Senator might act like they can’t do this out of some unspoken rule of Senate courtesy. But this is no ordinary time in the Senate—we have to pull out all the stops to stop TrumpCare.” https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resource/withholding-consent-filibuster-amendment-call-script/
- Action: Contact your Congressmen
- Caller:Hello! My name is [name] and I’m calling from [place in state]. Am I correct that [Senator] opposes TrumpCare, the American Health Care Act?
- Staffer:Yes! [Senator] is totally opposed.
- Caller:I’m glad to hear that. Can you tell me what [Senator] has done so far to oppose it?
- Staffer: [Senator] gave a speech on the floor recently that talked about the bill’s impact in our state. She’s listened to many constituents and heard their personal stories. She’s encouraged her colleagues to let us read the bill or have hearings on it. And yesterday she did an epic tweet storm.
- Caller:I’m afraid it’s going to take more than talk and tweet storms to stop this terrible bill. We have to slow this process way down and call attention to the terrible bill Republicans are trying to jam through in total darkness. We have to use every tool available. Does [Senator] intend to withhold her consent on all Senate business until we have hearings and a complete CBO score?
- Staffer:Withholding consent doesn’t actually buy us that much time. It would only delay things by 30 hours.
- Caller:I’m not just talking about refusing to agree on shortening debate time on TrumpCare or other bills. I’m talking about withholding consent on amendments, placing holds on nominations, and objecting to all unanimous consent requests until there are hearings and a complete CBO score. Will the [Senator] do that?
- Staffer:Well, [Senator] thinks that could backfire. We’re trying to work together with Republicans on on other important issues, like investigating Russian interference in our democracy.. Withholding consent could make that more difficult.
- Caller:Of course we want to know more about the Trump campaign’s ties to Russia. But 23 million Americans’ healthcare, including [coverage loss in state, find here] is important too. That’s what’s at stake. This is the most important thing right now and the issue the Senator needs to be focusing on. I don’t think anything else is worth healthcare getting ripped away from millions of Americans.
- Staffer:I’ll let [Senator] know of your thoughts.
- Caller:Please do. I expect her to use every tool she has. That also includes offering as many amendments as it takes to draw out Senate debate on this bill during vote-a-rama.
- SAMPLE CALL DIALOGUE: FILIBUSTER BY AMENDMENT
- Caller:Will [Senator] prepare hundreds or thousands of amendments to offer during vote-a-rama?
- Staffer:I’m not sure what you mean. Vote-a-rama only lasts a night or so.
- Caller:That’s because both parties have always agreed to end it. [Senator] can file thousands of amendments—and then call each of them for a vote—so that debate is prolonged long enough to leave Republicans with no choice but to agree to hearings and a complete CBO score. Along with her colleagues, [Senator] can and should let the Republicans know they will offer amendments into the July 4 recess or longer, holding the floor with amendments as long as it takes to guarantee Americans can read the bill, see a CBO score, and that the Senate has hearings.
- Staffer:Again, the Senator thinks that could backfire. There are other things we want to work on, as well.
- Caller:That’s terrible. Like I said, this is the most important thing happening right now. I expect [Senator] to get in the arena for her constituents. The stakes are too high to leave any tool at her disposal unused.
- Staffer:I’ll let [Senator] know of your thoughts.
- Caller:Please do. If she isn’t using these tools, that means she’s not doing everything in her power as a Senator to stop TrumpCare. I expect her to use every tool she has. That includes withholding consent and offering as many amendments as it takes to get a hearing and a CBO score. Please take down my contact information so you can let me know when [Senator] decides to play hardball.
2 “While the Senate tries to repeal ACA and take health insurance away from 23 million people, Tom Price and Trump’s Department of Health and Human Services are attacking it from the executive branch, too. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trumps-executive-order-on-obamacare-means-everything-and-does-nothing/ The Center for Medicare and Medicaid Studies is asking for public comment on their effort to chip away at the Affordable Care Act. https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/873212697491406849. Let’s tell them we want them to save the protections the ACA created.” From http://roganslist.blogspot.com/
- Action: “Find instructions on how to submit comments here:”https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/06/12/2017-12130/reducing-regulatory-burdens-imposed-by-the-patient-protection-and-affordable-care-act-and-improving#addresses.
3 As mentioned above, three Republican governors have denounced TrumpCare. Indivisible VT is recommending that we contact Governor Phil Scott to encourage him to join them.
- Action: Contact Governor Phil Scott 802 828-3333 or http://governor.vermont.gov/contact-us/message and ask him to join Republican governors Kasich (OH), Sandoval (NV) and Baker (MA) in denouncing TrumpCare.
4 The Senate has passed a bill to impose harsher sanctions on Russia for its interference in the 2016 US election. However, reports suggest that the House might ignore the bill, perhaps in response to pressure from the White House. http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/338046-russian-sanctions-bill-faces-uncertain-path-in-house
- Action: Peter Welch 802-652-2450 or https://welch.house.gov/contact/email and ask him to do whatever he can to ensure the passage of Russian sanctions. Make sure you mention that you are a constituent.
5 As mentioned above, VT Congressmen have joined the emoluments lawsuit against 45
- Action: Contact your Congressmen and thank them for joining the emoluments lawsuit. Make sure you mention that you are a constituent.
6 VT Representative Peter Welch is co-sponsoring H.Res. 351, to condemn the violence and persecution of gay men in Chechnya. https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-resolution/351/cosponsors
- Action: Peter Welch 802-652-2450 or https://welch.house.gov/contact/email and thank him. Make sure you mention that you are a constituent.
7 The Equality Act, S.1006 / House: H.R. 2282, would ensure equal access to housing and employment for the LGBTQIA+ community. https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2282 and https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/1006
- Action: Contact your Congressmen
- Sanders Local office 802-862-0697 https://www.sanders.senate.gov/contact/comment
- Leahy: Local office 802-863-2525 https://www.leahy.senate.gov/contact/
- Contact US House Representative Peter Welch 802-652-2450 https://welch.house.gov/contact/email
- Script: I’m one of the Congressmen’s constituents in Vermont and I’m calling to express my support for equal rights for the LGBTQ community. My (share who you know is ) is gay/trans/queer, and I want her/him/them to have the same access to housing and employment that I do. Can you tell me if _NAME_ plans to support The Equality Act of 2017? (Senate: S.1006 / House: H.R. 2282) Note: If you are LGBTQIA+, please edit the script accordingly. (from http://jenniferhofmann.com/home/weekly-action-checklist-democrats-independents-republicans-conscience/)
8 Acts of Gratitude recommended by http://jenniferhofmann.com/home/weekly-action-checklist-democrats-independents-republicans-conscience/
- Thank Rep. Walter Jones (R-NC) for being the only Republican to support consumer protections and safer financial institutions by voting against repealing Dodd-Frank. Address: 1105-C Corporate Drive, Greenville, NC 27858
- Thank Claire McCaskill (D-MO) for her clear criticism of the lack of debate over the Senate healthcare bill. I appreciate your advocacy for an open democratic process for deciding on such an important bill. Address: 28 N. 8th St., Ste. 500, Columbia, Missouri 65201
The following items are taken verbatim from http://roganslist.blogspot.com/
9 This month, Senator Casey (D-PA) and Representative Cicilline (D-RI) introduced legislation to prevent those convicted of misdemeanor hate crimes from purchasing a gun. Let’s call our MoC and ask that they support these common sense bills (S. 1324 and H.R. 2841). 5Calls has more information, phone numbers, and a call script available: https://5calls.org/issue/rec7sgeUYTnr7DJRU
10 New Mexico pharmacies can now prescribe birth control after pharmacists complete the required training. https://www.abqjournal.com/1015406/pharmacists-to-prescribe-birth-control.html New Mexico joins California, Colorado, and Oregon in this. Let’s tell our own state legislators and governors that we would like a similar law in our own states.
11 “While President Trump berates Qatar for sponsoring terrorism at the highest levels, he is simultaneously authorizing the country to purchase over $21 billion of U.S. weapons.” http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-sells-qatar-12-billion-arms-days-after-accusing-it-of-funding-terrorism/ Let’s let Trump and our MoCs know that this is not a responsible move and a misuse of our tax dollars.
12 Instead of re-thinking gun control following the shooting of Rep. Scalise and others, members of Congress want more security and to be able to carry guns themselves. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/15/congress-baseball-shooting-carry-guns-239613 While this may appease their safety issues, how about the safety issues of those who attend movies, or shop, or go to school? There are better ways to make life safer for us all. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/15/so-america-this-is-how-you-do-gun-control Let’s tell our legislators that enough is enough.
13 The Capitol Police officers who saved the lives of so many at the Congressional baseball practice this week were heroic. It is somewhat ironic that the officers, a gay married black woman, a black man, and a Hispanic man, represent those in our country that Rep. Scalise has legislated against. goo.gl/KWKMpy. Let’s thank Special Agent David Bailey, Special Agent Crystal Griner, and Officer Henry Cabrera: United States Capitol Police, 119 D Street, NE, Washington, DC 20510
14 “Conservative talk show host Sean Hannity responded to a bombshell report claiming President Trump is under investigation for obstruction of justice on Wednesday and called on special counsel Robert Mueller and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein to resign Wednesday. Mueller and Rod Rosenstein? Recuse themselves, resign immediately,” Hannity said on Fox News. The conservative firebrand cited Mueller’s conflicts of interest with ousted FBI Director James Comey as reason for him to resign.” The Fox News star dismissed the Washington Post’s report, saying the newspaper is “once again citing anonymous sources as if they haven’t been wrong enough recently.” This “journalist” from FOX needs to start telling the truth. http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/337905-hannity-calls-on-mueller-rosenstein-to-resign Let’s tell Hannity and Fox News that the Washington Post is real news and his uninformed comments are misleading the public especially when we all need to hear the truth. Contact: FOX NEWS +1-888-369-4762, Comments@foxnews.com HANNITY: tweet. @seanhannity
15 On May Day, thousands of immigrants, workers, activists and allies went on strike as part of a national Day Without Immigrants to fight back against Trump’s brutal anti-immigration agenda. (http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/latino-immigrants-workers-rally-may-day-day-without-immigrants-n753396) Now the advocacy group Cosecha is getting ready to take things a step further and launch a season of national boycotts. Want to help? Up for a trip to Birmingham, Omaha, Boston, San Jose, Grand Rapids or New Jersey? You can sign up for one of the regional gatherings to help launch the boycotts here: https://actionnetwork.org/events/cosecha-juntas-regionales
16 PBS will be running a 3-hour pro-DeVos education-agenda series called “School, Inc.” http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pbs-school-inc-devos-documentary_us_593ff88ee4b02402687ce613 PBS has responded on why they are running this. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2017/06/13/ravitch-why-is-pbs-running-this-education-documentary/?utm_term=.7bbf698cc574 Let’s tell all our PBS-watching friends to be on the watch for this propaganda. Let’s follow this recommendation from the Network for Public Education:. 1) Write your email to PBS by going here. 2) Call PBS and register your complaint and ask that they broadcast Diane Ravitch’s response to School, Inc. and the film, Backpack Full of Cash. Here is the number to call: 1-703-739-5000. 3) Contact your local station and ask them to do the same. If your station has not played the series, ask them not to. You can find your local station’s number here. All PBS stations are independent.
17 Following Attorney General Sessions’ Senate testimony on Tuesday, Senators Durbin, Warren, and Booker have questioned his ability to serve and called for his resignation: http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/337673-durbin-on-sessions-testimony-hard-to-see-how-he-could-continue-to-serve?amp and http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/337696-warren-goes-on-tweetstorm-over-sessions-testimony-he-should and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V07geuonPHo&app=desktop Let’s join their call: Attorney General Jeff Sessions, US Dept of Justice, 950 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20530
18 For the second time, Senator John McCain (R-AZ) has interrupted Senator Kamala Harris (D-CA): https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/06/14/as-a-prosecutor-kamala-d-harris-doggedness-was-praised-now-shes-hysterical/?utm_term=.39305bb641fe Let’s ask him to stop interrupting his colleague: https://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact-form and let’s thank Sen. Harris for her persistence: https://www.harris.senate.gov/content/contact-senator
19 The tax-payer funded Zika vaccine will have no price controls. http://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article155665424.html We can ask the Army to negotiate a better deal. Acting Secretary of the Army, Robert Speer, 101 Army Pentagon, Washington DC 20310-0101.
20 The legislation known as the “No Hearing, No Vote Act” would require a bill being passed under reconciliation to be voted on by at least one committee and have had at least one hearing. http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/337663-dems-introduce-bill-to-block-obamacare-repeal-vote-without-senate Let’s tell our senators that we support “No hearing No Vote” when we’re making our calls about healthcare.
21 Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney (D-N.Y.) and other House LGBT Equality Caucus members reintroduced the LGBT Pride Act, which would provide funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to collect data on anti-LGBT violence and suicides: http://www.hrc.org/blog/the-lgbt-pride-act-would-combat-violence-suicide-in-lgbtq-community We can tell our representatives that we support this bill and would like to see it move through committee during this session.
22 The Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia University, which “works to defend and strengthen the freedoms of speech and the press in the digital age through strategic litigation, research, and public education,” has written a letter to Trump demanding he stop blocking his constituents (the latest to be blocked by DT: author Stephen King!). It’s not just Trump who is trying to infringe on the free speech of his constituents. If any of us have been blocked by our MoC (or DT for that matter), the Institute would like to know. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information: 1) screenshot of the post that you suspect led to your blocking, and 2) screenshot of the page showing you are blocked. Let’s not let our elected officials get away with this!
23 Congressman Sean Huffy (R-WI) asked re: Russia probe: “… what the hell are we investigating?”: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/337521-gop-rep-on-mueller-what-the-hell-are-we-investigation We can share our perspective on what is being investigated: Rep. Sean Duffy, 2330 Rayburn HOB, Washington, DC 20515
24 NBC is lending their credibility to Infowars’ Alex Jones by planning to air Megyn Kelly’s interview with him. Among his more striking platforms is the idea that Sandyhook was a hoax. Naturally, this is causing a lot of pain to Sandyhook parents – particularly since the interview is set to air on Father’s Day: http://thehill.com/homenews/media/337531-nbc-executive-defends-megyn-kelly-interview-with-alex-jones We can share our thoughts with NBC about this: email@example.com In response to this, J.P. Morgan Chase has pulled all advertising on NBC until after the interview has aired http://on.wsj.com/2teWc0Q Let’s thank J.P. Morgan Chase’s Chief Marketing Officer Kristin Lemkau for speaking up; we can send a tweet to @KLemkau, or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org We can also e-mail NBC’s senior executive producer David Corvo and let him know how we feel about this blatant ratings grab: email@example.com Then, let’s share this letter to the NBC News Chairman by a Sandy Hook mom on social media http://www.sandyhookpromise.org/sandy_hook_promise_letter_to_nbc_s_andy_lack
26 From one of our own: For the third time since the inauguration, I called Zappos to express my concern regarding the company’s continued inclusion of this [Ivanka] brand. I made my way a little further up the chain today and told the “resource desk” that “doing all we can” was simple – stop carrying the brand. In the end, I deleted my account. I told the resource desk my spending was insignificant so the loss of my account didn’t matter. However, I noted, my voice among women would be loud. The information in the article is inconsistent with “empowering women” and #womenwhowork spin her PR department puts out. Shameful. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/13/revealed-reality-of-a-life-working-in-an-ivanka-trump-clothing-factory Let’s all follow this lead and unconnect ourselves from this brand.
27 Apparently corporate sponsors only like art when it behaves itself. Both Delta Airlines and Bank of America have withdrawn their funding from NYC’s Public Theatre, which is staging a production of Shakespeare’s play Julius Caesar. Why? In this interpretation of the play, Julius looks a lot like Trump, and the other characters are recognizable analogies for contemporary political figures as well. And we know what happens at the end of the play, right? Was this interpretation of the play meant to “provoke and offend,” as the spokesperson for Bank of America said? Obviously. That was the role of the original play, too. http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/12/532593994/delta-bofa-drop-support-for-julius-caesar-that-looks-too-much-like-trump That’s part of what art does. Losing funding from these big companies is likely to be a major blow, and the Public Theatre could use our help. Those of us who’d like to support this edgy and timely production of a classic play can do so here: https://www.publictheater.org/en/Support/Donate-Now/ We can also contact the advertisers asking them to reconsider their decision: Bank of America: http://www.corporate-office-headquarters.com/bank-of-america-corporation and Delta: http://www.corporate-office-headquarters.com/delta-airlines
- If you are feeling on the fence about Delta and Bank of America pulling their support for the Public Theater’s staging of Julius Caesar, it is of note that in 2012, Delta sponsored a production in Minnesota that featured an Obama-like figure:http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Delta-Sponsored-2012-Guthrie-Theater-Season-Which-Featured-Obama-Inspired-Julius-Caesar-20170612 We can show our support for the Public Theater by making a donation: https://publictheater.org/Programs–Events/Shakespeare-in-the-Park/Support-Free-Shakespeare/?SiteTheme=Shakespeare
28 Jackson Wyoming mayor Peter Muldoon says that respect must be earned, not demanded. He removed pictures of the president and vice-president from the Jackson town hall. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jun/12/pete-muldoon-wyoming-mayor-removes-trumps-portrait/ Mayor Muldoon is hearing from the haters on this! http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/town_county/decision-to-remove-trump-photo-backfires/article_b074820d-c329-52d9-8cda-f43c43e353a7.html Let’s send our support: Mayor Pete Muldoon, PO Box 1687, Jackson, WY 38001 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
29 Every day it seems like there’s a new headline about some horrendous cut Donald Trump wants to make to our government to pay for tax cuts for the wealthy. A bipartisan group of representatives is urging the Appropriations Committee to reject the $3 million cut to the budget of the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum Trump proposed. (http://thehill.com/policy/finance/337140-trump-faces-backlash-over-3m-holocaust-museum-cuts) At a time of rising intolerance and a spike in hate crimes, we need this institution strong more than ever. Let’s call our members of Congress and tell them we want them to reject appropriations bills that cut funding for the Holocaust Museum.
30 Rep. Mike Quigley (D-IL) has introduced the Communications Over Various Feeds Electronically for Engagement (COVFEFE) Act, which has the same acronym as an infamous Trump Twitter typo last month, would amend the Presidential Records Act to include “social media.” These twitter rants by the President are a record of his behavior. The conflicting statements by trump can add to the investigations as well as to the legal cases filed against him. Let’s call our reps and support this legislation. http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/337416-covefe-act-would-make-social-media-a-presidential-record We can tell our own representative that we support the COVFEFE Act and would like to see it advance in the House. We can also send thank yous and messages of support to Mike Quigley, 3223 N. Sheffield Ave, Chicago IL 60657 (Lakeview office).
31 Who knows when, whether, or how the Trump administration will “renegotiate” NAFTA, but a leaked draft memo suggests great benefits to corporations looking for easier environmental, health, and offshoring regulations and imposes “tariffs” on Mexican and Canadian goods if Trump’s government claims they harm US companies: http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/30/news/economy/donald-trump-nafta/index.html Corporate Accountability International has launched a petition to US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer—https://petitions.signforgood.com/ReplaceNAFTA/ Or, more effectively, we can write him directly at Office of the US Trade Representative, Winder Bldg., 600 17th St., NW, Washington DC 20006 and let him know what we think a fair trade deal with our neighbors should include.
32 In Congress’s continuing effort to dismantle environmental regulations, the House passed H.R. 953 “Reducing Regulatory Burdens Act of 2017” in late May, with the assent of 25 Democrats. The Senate version of what is called by some the “Poison Our Waters Act,” the “Sensible Environmental Protection Act of 2017” (S340), now approaching a vote, reverses a 2009 appellate court ruling that pesticides applied to waterways should be considered pollutants and be regulated under the Clean Water Act; it also ends our ability to know where and when pesticides are applied: http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/334991-house-votes-to-roll-back-pesticide-restrictions Especially given Democratic weakness in the House, we must make sure our senators do not similarly lend themselves to this effort to leave our water unprotected—and ourselves ignorant. Let them hear from us!
- Send a letter to have Attorney General Jeff Sessions held in contempt of Congress for refusing to answer questions without any legal basis to do so and for lying under oath https://actionnetwork.org/letters/tell-congress-urge-trump-to-fire-jeff-sessions
- Sign a petition to have 45 testify under oath before Congress http://action.dickdurbin.com/page/s/demand-trump-testify?source=sm170613
- Sign a petition to save Medicare and Social Security https://petitions.moveon.org/sign/stop-the-destruction-4?source=s.tw&r_by=2599172
- Sign a petition for Mastercard, PayPal, Visa, Discovery, and American Express to stop doing business with far right extremists and hate groups, and to adopt strong policies to prevent extremist hate groups from using their services. https://actions.sumofus.org/a/stop-financial-corporations-from-funding-violence-and-hate/?akid=31460.6561656.di5uxl&rd=1&source=fwd&t=1
The following items are taken verbatim from http://roganslist.blogspot.com/
- Close to twenty organizations are participating in a petition to “Defend our right to a free press.” The statement is addressed to all members of Congress. Let’s show that we care about freedom of the press and that we think our MoCs need to help defend it: https://petitions.signforgood.com/defendpressfreedom/
- Only 26 companies are still advertising with Breitbart, down from 242 in March, yet Amazon remains among those 26 http://bit.ly/2qZiZ00 It is time for Amazon to do stand up against hate, and stop buying advertising on Breitbart. The Sierra Club’s Add Up has a petition and sample tweet we can send to Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos http://bit.ly/2rVYhAY
- Jessica Colotl, a public face for the “Dreamers,” has had her DACA status revoked by the Trump administration on a very flimsy excuse. (http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/08/us/jessica-colotl-dreamer-federal-court/index.html) Public action helped her avoid deportation before, and we are fighting to make sure it does again. Join the ACLU is signing this petition to have her DACA status restored: https://action.aclu.org/secure/Jessicas-DACA.
GROUPS TO FOLLOW/SUPPORT
Hunger Free Vermont – to help students who lack the funds for school meals https://www.hungerfreevt.org/
Reminder to support Mike Levin in his race against the richest man in Congress, Darrel Issa who, according to this article, is already getting special help from the GOP for his reelection http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/politics/sd-me-issa-program-20170215-story.html To help Mike, go to http://mikelevin.org/
It Starts Today “Donate: $4.68 a month covers a penny per candidate running for Congress in 2018. This allows you to support Democratic candidates all at once.” (recommended by http://jenniferhofmann.com/home/weekly-action-checklist-democrats-independents-republicans-conscience/)
“Our Children’s Trust elevates the voice of youth to secure the legal right to a stable climate and healthy atmosphere for the benefit of all present and future generations. Through our programs, youth participate in advocacy, public education and civic engagement to ensure the viability of all natural systems in accordance with science.” This is the organization behind the youth climate lawsuit, Juliana v. United States, which despite Trump’s attempt to stop it, will be going to trial. http://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/Youth-climate-lawsuit-against-federal-government-11213420.php The organization wants our involvement in many ways. Let’s see if we have what they are looking for:” https://www.ourchildrenstrust.org/ (recommended by http://roganslist.blogspot.com/)
“The National Council of Teachers of English has compiled a Participatory Citizenship reading list to help us educate our children and encourage them to empathize with others, then take action” http://bit.ly/2qHsU9w (recommended by http://roganslist.blogspot.com/)